Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review: Mockingjay

My eyes burn.  From crying continuously throughout the last 20ish pages of Mockingjay:

Photo found here.

You know you've stumbled upon a good read when it evokes that kind of emotion in you.  I think a lot of my reaction can be traced to things that are going on in my own personal life, and not necessarily solely that of the novel's plot.  But regardless, the last book of 'The Hunger Games' series struck a serious chord with me.

The first half of the book was good, no doubt, but the latter half is what really started pulling on my emotions.  I experienced everything from being mad and frustrated, to saddened and heartbroken, to happy and excited.  I kid you not I cried through the last half of this novel, sobbing uncontrollably through the last few pages.  I was, in short, an emotional wreck reading this (young adult!) fiction.

I'm still deciding whether I like the way it ended.  I think I'll eventually land on liking it, because I think there lies a beauty in how the final chapter was orchestrated.  That in the end it was the promise of a better future that won out over the undeniable fire she already possessed.  I would have liked more explanation, though, and more closure.  I felt this weird mixture of finality and the lingering of questions upon turning the last page.  I feel as though every surface level question was answered, but I wanted more.  I wanted to know exactly why and how, and to what extent, and if ever again.  But, alas, don't great stories always leave us wanting more?

Recommend.  But prepare your box of tissues, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment