Tuesday, May 15, 2012

She said I think I'll go to Boston...

This past weekend I was in one of my all-time favorite cities: Boston.  I came across some cheap flights and, lucky for me, have quite a few friends who like jet setting on a whim as much as I do!  So with our Red Sox tshirts packed and our party pants on, we boarded the plane to Bean Town...

Here's a little peek into what went down during our 48 hours in Boston:

After dinner and a couple beers at Katy Trail Ice House, we booked it to the airport in time for our 1:30 AM flight:



We very quickly realized why our flights were so cheap:

No leg room.

Felt it necessary to sanitize the seats.

Also, the seats did not recline.  And they were made of stone.  And the five of us shared two checked bags because you had to pay $60.00 bucks a pop round trip for each.  And you were only allowed one 'personal item' per person that must fit under your seat.  Never travel with Spirit Airlines (unless you find $103.00 flights!!).

We landed in Boston at 6:00 AM, dropped our luggage off at our hotel, and took the T to Cambridge:


Walked through Harvard's campus for a bit....





...and then took a stroll along the Charles River:



Around 9:30-10:00 AM, the first breakfast shops opened and I munched on these little ditties:

Grilled grapefruit. Yum. 

Grilled blueberry muffin. Double yum.

We took the T to MIT and walked to the best local thrift store, The Garment District:

I scored a brand new, tags attached Michael Kors blouse for $8.00 bucks and a men's oversized button-down from the 1960s-1970s rack for $6.00 bucks.  Yeah.  Impressive.

We headed back to the downtown area to take a stroll through The Boston Commons.  We ended up at this tourist favorite:



We spent the afternoon drinking apricot beer, chatting up the bartender, eating cheese fries, and challenging each other to pull ups at the bar:



After checking into our hotel, we scooted out to the Harpoon Brewery beer tasting:




Lots of free beer = lots of happy Texans.  And I, of course, purchased my brewery glass to add to my collection!

After a marathon 36 hours of being awake and copious amounts of walking and boozing, we settled into our hotel and showered for an Italian dinner in the Northend:


Is it any surprise to you that this kid still had the energy to stay out and party while the rest of us retreated to the hotel room to crash?:




The next morning we woke up early and grabbed a bite to eat at Finagle A Bagel:


We then headed to Fanueil Hall where we spent a couple hours shopping.  And some time drinking margaritas...


...and then some more time shopping.  And then some time at a local pub:



We also ran into some street performers on the way out and Shannon got pulled into the show:



We met my sister back at the hotel for a quick complimentary wine happy hour (thank you, Nine Zero!)...


...before heading to a pizza joint in Back Bay.  Little Stevie's might be the best Hawaiian pizza I've ever had.

Soon after scarfing down some pizza, we made our way to Fenway where I experienced the deliciousness of fresh blueberry beer:

Too bad you can't tell from the picture that the blueberries are dancing in the glass!


We only had time for one before heading into our first ever Red Sox game!


Boston Beer Works, home of the most fabulous blueberry beer, in the background!

Same Raybands, red Sox shirts, hang bags, pale skin, and dark nail polish.  Think we're sisters?!


Didn't take long in the Green Giant before we staked out our places, grabbed a couple beers, and a Fenway Frank:

Matchy Matchy.


After the game, we couldn't resist heading back to Boston Beer Works for round two of the blueberry beer:


And when we realized we hadn't had anything "desserty" all trip, we knew that had to change:

Delicious doesn't even do this justice.

After a long day of being out and about, we headed back to our "neck of the woods" and stopped in a small bar across the street from our hotel, Bean Town Pub:




Thank goodness the bartender screwed me out of an honest drink - I was so deliriously tired I didn't care that my "rum and coke" was all coke, no rum:



After our quick stop at BTP, it was bedtime for us!  Well, except Party Pants Jeff who once again made it out to Sissy K's without us...

The next morning we woke up early, packed, and boarded the T for the last time.  Our trip home proved to be a lot more enjoyable than our trip there as we were all sitting together this time.  And I even finished the book I brought for the plane ride!



I think we packed just about everything we possibly could have into our weekend in Boston.  And I think the last picture taken, on the airport shuttle home, provides pictorial evidence for how exhausted we all were:

We know, it's a sexy picture.

Well, Boston, once again you treated me right.  This was absolutely one of the best, most fun, weekend trips I've had to date.  Don't worry, Bean Town, we'll be back :)

1 comment:

  1. This made me so excited for my trip in July!! [even if it is a work trip]

    ReplyDelete