Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Juicing

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to try juicing.  I'm not usually a "join the bandwagon" type of person, but this was one new trend that piqued my interest for a number of reasons.

1) I love juice.  LOVE it.  Jamba Juice in high school was an every week stop.
2) I get no where near the amount of veggies that I should.  Simply because I do not like them.  However, I think in juice form (where a vast majority of the nutrients are anyway) and combined with fruits flavors, I might be able to up my vegetable intake.
3) After eating a big meal for lunch or dinner, I always get so lethargic.  My solution?  A huge thermos of juice and a smaller, healthier lunch. 

I had my first juicing experience last night.  Although I almost broke my juicer (it started making loud noises, vibrating, and smelling like burnt rubber), I fixed the problem and we were soon back in business:

This concoction was: 5 carrots, 2 cucumbers, 3 apples, 1 lemon, and a chunk of fresh ginger root.

Although I've realized I don't like carrots any more in juice form than I do whole, it was overall not a bad taste for my first try!  I think I'll knock down the carrot deposit to 3 and amp up the amount of apples I use.  But considering this made a huge dinner drink for last night and a glass thermos worth of lunch juice for today, not too shabby!

The only downfall is that you have to clean out the. entire. juicer. every time you use it.  And there are a lot of parts.  Womp womp.  The price of being healthy...


1 comment: