Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thirty.

One of my friends passed along this awesome list of "30 Things You Should Have and Know Before You're 30."  Which then inspired me to forward that to several more people.  The list is inclusive, inspiring, and a huge up-lifter and wake up call.  Written by a Glamour editor over a decade ago, it is just as relevant today and something I think every woman should have pinned to their mirror as a reminder.  See below.

By 30 you should have...


1) One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you've come. (Check!)

2) A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. (My white couch...)


3) Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour (Wait a minute...is this suggesting the need for me to go shopping!?)


4) A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you're not ashamed to be seen carrying. (Hesitant check.  I would still like an excuse to buy my dream Louie...)


5) A youth you're content to move beyond. (I think I'll hold on to a few of these moments a bit longer...ha!)


6) A past juicy enough that you're looking forward to retelling it in your old age. (Workin' on it!)


7) The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.  (Can I ever fully "check" this off?  Saving will be a constant on-going process; but I've been doing it since day one on the job!)


8) An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you. (I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T do you know what I mean?)


9) A resume that is not even the slightest bit padded. (Why would you ever lie on your resume?  Even if 'dog walker' topped the list?)

10) One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.  (I'm blessed enough to have a couple.)


11) A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.  (Check, Check, and Check!)


12) Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.  (I'll wait to check off both #4 and #12 when I buy my LV.)


13) The belief that you deserve it. (Soul searching is good.)


14) A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don't get better after 30.  (Admittedly, I could do better with this...I often take for granted my youth!)


15) A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. (Lucky enough to have all of the above!)


By 30, you should know...


1) How to fall in love without losing yourself. (Yes.)

2) How you feel about having kids. (Eek!  I got five more years...)

3) How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.  (I think I have a good head start on this, but it's hard.)

4) When to try harder and when to walk away. (Hi, nice to meet you.  My name's Ashley and I'm extremely stubborn.  I don't walk away well.)

5) How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn't like to happen next. (Ha! Apparently kissing is complicated...)

6) The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.  (Uhh...)

7) How to live alone, even if you don't like to. (Absolutely.  And I do like to.)

8) Where to go -- be it your best friend's kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.  (I'll take the ballet barre or a drive through the country, please.)

9) That you can't change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. (...and learn to love it all anyway.)

10) That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it's over. (Mine was pretty great.  But I can appreciate it in the past.)

11) What you would and wouldn't do for money or love. (The age-old question.  I'm not entirely sure one will ever know their answer to this until they're faced with the question.)

12) That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.  (I'm an avid flosser.)

13) Who you can trust, who you can't, and why you shouldn't take it personally. (I'm trusting to a fault - because I like to find the good in people.)

14) Not to apologize for something that isn't your fault. (Yikes.)

15) Why they say life begins at 30. (Ah, yes. I'm excited for this.)

1 comment:

  1. I love your #12.

    Life does begin at 30! I've loved every minute of it thus far!!!

    ReplyDelete