Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Time I Jumped Out of a Plane at 13,500ft

That's right, folks.  Last weekend I went skydiving. SKYDIVING!  I jumped out of a plane at 13,500 feet in the air.  And it was incredible.

It's been on my bucket list for quite a while but I've honestly been a little nervous to check that one off.  It wasn't until a group of people from my office got together (which dropped the price), that I felt inclined to finally take the leap (pun intended).

I roped Evan into doing it with me as well so last Sunday at 7:00am we suited up and headed out to SkyDive Dallas.

I was just as nervous thinking about jumping out of a plane as I was thinking about running 13.1 miles a few months ago (read: REALLY nervous).  My stomach was in knots and I was honestly a little scared I was gonna get in the plane and tell them to take me back down.  I knew this was something I wanted to do, though, so was determined to follow through.

And honestly?  Once I was there I was completely fine.  And once I started putting on the jumpsuit, getting fitted for my hat and goggles, and stepping into the harness, I knew there was no way I was backing down.  Pure excitement.

During our two hour wind delay...

With my sweet work friends right before they take off!

...and again without Evan and I ruining the photo.

Because all five in our group wanted a videographer along for the ride, Evan and I got separated into another group at a later time.  It ended up being fine but it would have been so great to ride up with all my work colleagues as well!  I'm at least glad I had someone I knew with me to keep me from chickening out ;)

Sweet hat, I know...

One, two, JUMP!

13,500ft. 120mph. 60 seconds of free fall.  Incredible.

I was in awe of how mind-blowing it all was!

Between 13,500-3,000ft it all looks about the same...like a patchwork quilt.

I was continuously praying that some freak accident didn't happen that unlatched me from the four harness hooks that were holding me in place!

Check out our chipmunk cheeks!

Parachute.

More parachute action.  I got a little scared when the harness readjusted here and I slipped down a couple of inches.

Our videographer dropped a few thousand more feet before he pulled his parachute so that he was on the ground and ready with the camera for my landing.  In the meantime I got to steer the parachute and twirl in the air.  Flying is the most amazing (yet slightly nauseating) feeling I've ever experienced.

Back on the ground!

Pure happiness.

My sweet flying partner.

See ya next time.

And then I immediately called my parents and told them the ridiculous thing I had just done.  My dad told me a long time ago (after my brother went skydiving in college) that if I were ever to do something that stupid, I'd best wait until I was back on the ground to tell him about it.  So I kept my promise.  I figured I'd save my dad a heart attack ;)

All in all, I would do it again ten times over.  To anyone who has any inkling of wanting to jump out of a plane, DO IT.  Conquer your fear and go for it.  It's pricey, yes, but it's a memory I will keep with me for a lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures Ashley! That looks like so much fun, but I know I would definitely be a chicken haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you and the rest of the BCG crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do this soooooooo bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still cannot believe you did that AND you were calm enough to smile and give a thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete