Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Running: Behind the Scenes

So here's the truth:  I hated running when I started.  In fact, some days I still don't love it.  And there's been once or twice that I didn't even like it.  But I don't absolutely loathe it anymore.  And that's a start.

When I set out to run this half marathon, I did it for a number of reasons.  The big one is that it's on my Life Bucket List.  Everything else on that list seems unobtainable at the moment (read: traveling the world) but this?  This I could set out to conquer right away on a pretty minimal budget ::and lots of hard work::.  I knew I wanted to accomplish something that, in the end, felt like a huge achievement.  Traveling the world will be exciting, it will be exhilarating, and it will be full of loving and learning about myself and the world.  All of that sounds great.  Obviously I want to do that.  Duh.  But waking up at 7:30am on both Saturday and Sunday, rubbing blisters on my feet, and skipping out on trips to the bar or movies with friends to stick to my running schedule?  That is less enticing.  But still I do it.  Because when I cross that finish line after 2 1/2 hours of running 13.1 miles, I'm going to feel damn accomplished.  And extremely proud of myself:

Photo via Pinterest.

I'm the type of person that needs to be working toward something.  There will be things I am constantly striving toward like getting better at my job or strengthening my faith.  But in taking a step back and objectively looking at my life, I felt I needed to push myself to accomplish a measurable goal.  So I am.  And let's not get dramatic here.  I've kinda learned to like running.  It's freeing, it's raw, and it's just you, your music, and your thoughts.  I have time to contemplate things, to work out problems in my head, and just reflect on my life.  And that's great.  Because if any of you know me well, you know the one thing I rarely do is take time to myself, take time to just "be."

Another big reason I've set out to do this is I find it extremely selfish not to.  Here I am, blessed with an able and healthy body when so many people out there are not.  Sure, I have bad knees and a weak ankle, but it's nothing so serious that I can make excuses for being lazy.  Wouldn't it be a huge slap in the face to the Big Guy if I were to spend my days lounging on my couch, eating potato chips, completely wasting the gift He's given me?  He's given me the chance to be fit and healthy and happy and accomplish the goals I've always wanted to.  Why waste that?  Plus, swimsuit season is coming up and I'll feel my purchase is much more justifiable if I actually foresee myself wearing the thing.

So in my weeks of running, I've learned a few things:

Like that it takes me between 1 1/2 - 2 miles to really hit my stride and stop disliking what I'm doing.  Up until that point I feel like I can't fully catch my breath, I'm about to get a stitch in my side, and every step feels like my feet are hitting the pavement like jackhammers.  But once I pass that mark, I'm golden.  I feel like I can run forever.  My body feels lighter, my mind starts to rid itself of negative thoughts on the whole thing, and I start getting this "go me" feeling welling up inside of me.  But then ::sigh:: I start to drop off again at the 5 - 5 1/2 mile point.  This is when running becomes not so fun anymore.  I start feeling the pounding of every step again and start diligently counting down (and re-calculating to be sure) at every 1/4 mile marker.  Hopefully I'll lengthen this curve in the coming weeks the more I run.  If not?  That 15K I've got coming up is gonna be miserable.

I've also learned that I enjoy running in the evening more so than in the morning.  Besides the fact that me + morning = someone you don't want to meet (just ask my mom!), I like having the entire day to hydrate and loosen up.  I'm not, and never have been, a big water drinker while I exercise.  Everything starts swishing around in my stomach and it's literally made me puke before.  Nineteen years of dancing and I learned my lesson: hydrate before.  I've started drinking copious amounts of water throughout the day and have cut out sodas and coffee to one a day (either/or).  It works for me.  I have plenty in my system to last me through the run without feel dehydrated and I don't get that awful, nauseous feeling swirling through my body.  Same with loosening up.  I hit my stride quicker and don't feel quite as sore afterwards if I've had the whole day to stretch and warm up my muscles.

And finally, I've learned what Pandora station is my favorite.  Now, it's a little abnormal so don't judge me.  But my poison of choice is: Summer Hit's of the 90s.  Yeah, I'm a 90's kid and totally owning it.  Maybe it ties in with the whole 'being free' idea that I get from running and love so much.  Or maybe it's because 85% of the songs carry the same beat which happens to fall perfectly in step with my 12 minute mile pace.  But whatever the reason, this stuff keeps me going.  And I need that.

So there it is: my word vomit on running.  On my running.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Run on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I could learn a thing or two from you and try to enjoy running!

    ReplyDelete