Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Catching Up...Literally

I don't have a deliciously fattening State Fair of Texas tale for you...yet.  Our trip to this trashy, yet magnificent, temporary establishment was postponed due to rain.  Yes, you read that correctly, rain...in Texas!  Although such is my luck that it came pouring down on the one day I plan for a full, outdoor adventure.  Oh well, the one tree in my "backyard" is appreciative.

My impromptu lazy Sunday rolled into a lazy-turned-productive Monday in which I spent the first half reading in bed and the latter half frantically fitting a whole day's worth of errands into two hours before packing up my bat and glove and heading to softball practice.  I was the only dedicated girl who showed - holla.  I spent the rest of the night hanging with the team boys and cheering on our beloved idols, The Texas Rangers.

Tuesday was a harried day, of course, because I didn't have work on Monday (Thank you, Chrisopher Columbus!).  Planning to fit an already crammed five day week into four makes for an interesting first day back.  We also decided last minute to send one of us to Austin for our interview slate today.  Can you guess who drew the short straw?!  (I kid, I love coming to Austin!  I'm just not a huge fan of early morning flights...).  Ergo, my Tuesday evening consisted of taking care of a few things around the house and trying (and subsequently failing) at getting to bed at a decent hour.

And that brings us up to today.  5:00 AM came entirely too early for me.  Although I typically wake up to my alarms when I know I have to be somewhere, the rain pounding against my window and the thunder growling outside were not helping.  Let me tell you how much I wanted to just roll over and go back to sleep for a few hours.  But, alas, I dragged myself out of bed, made myself a cup of coffee (on my new Keurig - did you catch that Mom & Dad?!), and hopped in the shower.  20 minutes later and I was out the door (yes, again, you read that correctly.  I planned to be a speedster at getting ready this morning to allow for maximum sleep time).  But that's irrelevant.  I debated last night between taking a cab (which I perceive to be quicker) or driving myself (which I perceive to be cheaper).  I decided to save BCG a few bucks and battle the traffic myself.  Bad move.  Apparently Wednesday mornings are highly popular travel times.  It took me absolutely forever to find a parking spot in the garage.  No sweat, I had already printed my boarding pass and always arrive earlier than most so I wasn't worried about having plenty of time to make it through security and hopefully grab a quick bite to eat.  Wasn't worried until I walked inside, that is.  The line for security snaked all the way to the end of the rope opening.  And this was a very long rope.  After many, many painful minutes of constantly checking my phone and hoping my flight was delayed at least a little, I finally made it through security and, still putting on my shoes and stuffing my laptop in my bag, jetted down the terminal.  Naturally, my flight was taking off from the last cubicle of gates.  I rounded the last corner, barreled down the last straight-away, and literally jogged into the seating area.  The completely empty seating area.  I must have looked helpless because the guy manning the door called my name.  Yup, he knew my name.  Which means I was the last passenger and the flight was 'waiting' on me.  Oops.  I handed him my boarding pass and headed through the tent, half expecting to have to chase the plane down the tarmac.  Luckily it was still stationary ;)  I sat down and buckled my seat belt with four minutes to spare.  Phew!

I landed in Austin, grabbed some coffee to go, hailed a cab, and took off for downtown.  The rest of my day has gone smoothly and according to plan, but there's always the return trip this evening!  I got my cabbie's number, though, to be on the safe side and already set a pre-arranged meeting spot so I have a guaranteed, (hopefully) on time, ride back to the airport.

I think after such a hurried morning, my evening will consist of some 'How I Met Your Mother' viewing, some donning of the sweatpants, and the making of some delicious hot apple cider.  Quite the balancing act I'm going for.

So there you have it.  You should be caught up on my recent life happenings as well as my morning adventure of catching up to my plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment