Wednesday, October 5, 2011

'West Side Story' Wednesday

As I'm sure you guessed by reading the title of this post, I went to see 'West Side Story' tonight.  Being that it has been on my "bucket list of musicals to see," I definitely jumped at the opportunity to grab discounted tickets when I found them.  Fifteen dollas - holla!  If you wanna get real, they were actually $25 a piece once you factored in fees and parking, but that's still not too shabby for such a great production!



My favorite part of this musical was by far the dancing.  There was a decent amount of it and ::wait for it:: it was fantastic!  You could tell that everyone up there had had some serious ballet training along the way.  I've been to a good amount of musicals and watched as performers faked their way through the routines.  And honestly, they all probably looked great to the normal eye.  But to someone who grew up dancing their whole life?  Tonight's performance was a cut above the rest.  And much appreciated.

My second favorite part was the nod to one of the most heart-wrenching love stories of all time, Romeo and Juliet.  Being a literary fanatic and having taken a couple Shakespeare courses in undergrad, I definitely appreciated the classic basis.

All in all, I would give this performance 3 1/2 - 4 stars.  I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, but it was definitely worth seeing.  So if you're ever scoping out your local theatre scene and happen upon the opportunity to see West Side Story...take it!

1 comment: