Saturday, May 7, 2011

Twilight Bay

In honor of the Kentucky Derby and my severe adoration of hats (and other hair accessories), I trudged out to the horse races tonight with a few friends.  It was my first time at Lone Star Park and per the instructions from friends who had been there before, I promptly made my bet decision based solely on the name of the horse.  After a brief deliberation, I placed my whopping $2.00 minimum on horse 4, Twilight Bay.  

AND SHE WON!! Although I missed her 30 seconds of fame because I was inside ordering a questionable hamburger and over-priced fries, I was proud of my pick nonetheless.

I decided to forgo any additional bets, simply savor my sweet win, and root for the jockey with the best outfit or prettiest horse instead.  This tended to lend some interesting observations.  For starters, the jockeys have legs that could surely pass for twigs; they are so tiny and lack any substantive muscle.  Weighing in at an average of 125 pounds, the jockeys looked like barbie-proportioned versions of men.  Secondly, I was utterly disappointed in the one-lap races.  I had always envisioned a more nascar-esque arrangement but instead they make you suffer through 15 minutes of set-up and anticipation just to squash your excitement with a measly one trip around the track; half of which is covered from view!

All in all it was a fun experience.  My friend, Angela, definitely won the award for best costume; very Pretty Woman/Audrey Hepburn/Kate Middleton like.  And it's always great to catch up with everyone.

So was it a successful night?  I'd say so!  Hey, I walked away with $1.40 in winnings.  Just call me a high roller ;)   

No comments:

Post a Comment