Monday, May 16, 2011

Wind-Blown and Jet-Lagged

Last week I travelled to the 'windy city' for work. It was a fun few days filled with lots of work and lots of play.  (More to come on this awesome trip later).  However, the trip back from Chicago was less than smooth.  Let me just give you a run-down of what went awry:

1) The cabbie that took us to the airport was apparently a huge fan of the "stop-and-go" driving technique.
2) We got stuck in AWFUL traffic.  (That coupled with the awful driving did not bode well for my sensitive, car-sick-inclined stomach).
3) Our flight was delayed an hour and a half.
4) I was one of the last to board the completely full flight.  Due to the mass amount of people and bags, all the overhead compartments were full.  Cool.  So down below went my luggage with me crossing my fingers the whole flight that it in fact stayed ON the plane at our connector stop in St. Louis.
5) I sidled into the last seat on the plane and we then proceeded to sit on the tarmac for an additional 20 minutes and taxi in (what felt like) circles around the terminal.
6) When we finally took off and landed smoothly in St. Louis I figured things had started looking up.  Wrong.  Only 14 of us were continuing on from St. Louis to Dallas and the mass evacuation of people coupled with a broken AC unit provided for a VERY freezing plane ride back to the Lone Star State.  So much for getting some wink-eye in on the plane!
7) Once we finally landed in Texas, I grabbed my suitcase from baggage claim as quickly as possible and headed out to the car - only to find myself facing a broken escalator.  This wouldn't normally have been an issue at all considering I'm a huge advocate of taking the stairs.  However, at 12:30 in the morning, loaded with luggage and computer bags, and having been in heels for 17 hours, I would have very much appreciated an easy ride to the bottom.

Oh well.  I got home at 1:30, unpacked and re-packed for my Houston trip (more to come on this!) and was in bed by 2:30.  Although 5:45 came a lot earlier than I would have liked, I treated myself to a venti Starbucks coffee with an extra espresso shot on my way to work :)

More details to come on my awesome trip to the midwest soon - I just had to get all my complaining out of the way, first!

No comments:

Post a Comment